Sensinov is a start-up specializing in smart building and industrial IoT setups offering an interoperability as a service which aims at coping with huge device diversity, lifecycle management, and continuous operations of IoT solutions.
The diversity of devices and connectivity networks in smart building can only grow with new and emerging devices that are entering the mainstream. To ensure future proof and sustainable deployment of smart buildings, there is a need to:
- Transform the collected data into uniform data formats ensuring their proper handling by applications and IoT platforms. By doing so, the management of the life cycle (changing device vendor or changing IoT platform provider) becomes an easy task for IoT project owners.
- Process the data locally and send only processed/filtered data to the cloud. Indeed, huge amounts of data sets could be generated. It is neither beneficial nor economically viable to send all the data to the cloud. Processing data locally is an emerging technical and business imperative. It is usually performed through running application logic closer to the IoT devices: i.e. where the data is generated.
Sensinov was selected for an open call of H2020 Agile IoT project. Our role in the project was to integrate Agile IoT gateways in the Watson IoT platform. This was an excellent opportunity for Sensinov to demonstrate its interoperability platform in action. Among our findings:
Agile IoT provides us a perfect development environment to cope with industrial IoT requirements from real life projects.
These requirements include:
- The management of diversity in IoT devices and protocols
- The enhancement of efficiency through local processing
Indeed, the role of the Agile IoT gateway is to perform several functions needed for running cost optimized IoT projects. These functions include
- Device connectivity
- Protocol adaptation
- Data processing close to the devices
- Securing IoT communications
- Ensuring system extensibility through the installation of new applications
As a smart building specialist without any plan to build hardware, Agile IoT provides a perfect solution for deployment scenarios where the need to add a gateway is necessary with the absence of local and extensible local processing capabilities. Sensinov is currently considering the inclusion of an Agile IoT compatible gateway in its portfolio, partnering with a hardware player who adheres to the Agile IoT principles. In interest to our roadmap and strategy, Agile IoT offers us several interesting value propositions including:
- A rich set of connectors (Enocean, ZWave, ZigBee, BLE, etc)
- An open source approach which avoids lock-in for Sensinov as a provider and for our customers
- The development of an ecosystem of providers
- Modular hardware and software to adapt to different deployment needs
Please accept YouTube cookies to play this video. By accepting you will be accessing content from YouTube, a service provided by an external third party.
If you accept this notice, your choice will be saved and the page will refresh.