Enhanced Retail Services
Pilot D – Enhanced Retail Services
Pilot D has been implemented in a retail shop that serves take away food. The objective of the pilot is to optimize the retail business operation and management through IoT technology, monitoring the shop machines in order to provide a good service to the clients.
There are 2 fridges in the shop. The counter is located next to the fridges and the store room is located in a separate area. When the shop assistant is in the store room, he/she cannot see if there are clients at the counter.
The fridges contain many different dishes for take away. There are several sensors to monitor the machines and take some KPIs to improve the following processes:
- Cold chain management.Temperature sensors in the fridge will send an alert to the AGILE gateway when temperature is not correct. AGILE will send a signal to the display at the counter.
- Stock Management. When dishes are being taken from the shelf, a distance sensor will detect when there are few left and will send an alert to AGILE gateway. AGILE will send a signal to the display at the counter.
- Business continuity.There will be an electricity sensor that will control the power consumption. If there is a power outage an alert will be sent to the display.
- Tracking business opening hours. Light sensors inside the fridges will monitor the shutter opening and closing sending signals to AGILE.
- Customer service. If the shop assistant is in the store room preparing some meals he/she cannot see that there are customers waiting to be attended. In this case, a presence sensor located at the counter will send an alert to AGILE that will send a signal to a buzzer in the store room.
Some samples can be seen through this short video: Media:https://youtu.be/4Dxrze24RKI
The IoT devices deployed in the pilot:
- Arduino sensors (light, stock, proximity, electricity consumption and temperature).
- Beacon detector (sensor that checks if the employee is near the counter).
- Light alarm in the store (actuator).
- IoT display (actuator) in order to help the employee act over the IoT mesh (configuring and receiving alerts, information about electric consumption, etc...).
The technologies used in Pilot D are the following:
- RESIN.IO, to manage remotely the set of IoT devices that work over RESINOS (Agile Gateway,SmartBeacon,IoTDisplay)
- Node-red, to orchestrate all events generated by the IoT devices.
- Electron, to develop the IoT devices management application located in the IoTDisplay.
- Docker, container system to deploy software over the set if IoT devices over RESINOS.
- Ionic 2, development frameworks to build applications that will be executed over Electron.
The communication between the different IoT devices has been implemented over the Zigbee/XBee protocol. The following functionalities from the AGILE software stack are used:
- AGILE HTTP API.
The following components are used:
- AGILE HTTP API
- ZigBee-XBee Protocol (beta version)